Elder Redd's favorite scripture

Elder Redd's favorite missionary scripture

Alma 26:11-12
But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength,
nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with
joy, and I will rejoice in my God.
Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak;
therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his
strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought
in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

Sunday 9 June 2013

Tres Leches Birthday!


Las Venturas de Elder Rojo: Capitulo 49 (May 7)

Buenos Tardes! Disculpame que ya no les escribi, pero algunos otros missioneros vinieron hoy, y estabamos occupados con ellos hasta se salieron ellos. Entonces esto ers la razon. Pero yo tengo tiempo y no tengo que escribir tan rapido.



Well we had a great week this week. I had lots of fun celebrating my birthday... Twice!!! As I mentioned last week on monday we went to eat with the Allens. We had make your own pizzas and that was a ton of fun. I was doing card tricks for their sons, when the oldest began quoting the hobbit. He started by quoting Smeagol lines. Of course once that happened I had to show them my Smeagol voice. BIG MISTAKE! for the next fifteen minutes I had to show them different renditions of Smeagol. They're favourite was "the fishy!" as their youngest called it. (When Smeagol catches the fish and sings before being captured by the Gondorian rangers) I must have done it at least 30 times before we left that night. But it was so much fun to be there with them.

Then on Tuesday as I mentioned we ate with la familia Higuera. We had a great dinner ensalada fiesta! or Party Salad, Composed of: Lettuce, Cheese, Tomatoes, Fritos, and an assortment of other vegetables. Put a little bit of Chile on top for dressing and it is delicious! It was a lot of fun to eat with them. Then Hna. Higuera brought out a homemade tres leches cake. brief explanation for those who do not know what tres leches is. IT'S SOOOOO GOOD!!!! It's a traditional hispanic cake made with lots of sweetened milk, so the bottom is just a little soggy and sugary delicious, not healthy at all but so good. So after singing and me blowing out the candles they all started chanting "Que la muerde! Que la muerde!" or "Bite it! Bite it!" I knew it was a trap I've been to Mexican birthdays before. In fact I have often been the one who springs the trap. But I really wanted a real Mexican birthday. So I did it. I don't think I've ever felt quite so much pressure on the back of my head as my face was pushed into that cake, later seeing the video I found out that all of them had pushed, I was willing to do it they only needed one but... Asi es! That should explain the pictures.


Beyond my birthday it was an amazing week. We found 8 new investigators, tying the most I've ever found in my mission. And we have some real amazing people who are learning more about the Gospel and coming closer to Christ. I love it up here in the mountains, even if it is hard to breath on occasion. It's been great to just really lose myself in being a missionary, I love to have fun with my companion or others when we're doing missionary work. I remember well when President Stephens told me make sure you're having fun, don't be disobedient, but make sure you're having fun. I look back and all of the most successful times that I've had were when my companion and I were working hard and just having fun while doing it. The best of course is teaching the Gospel and seeing it touch peoples hearts, but you throw in some fun while walking down the street or driving, and that's what makes a great mission. Mom and Dad it seems from you're letters that you also have a lot of fun over there in the heat! I hope so, if not have more fun!

This week there were two experiences that really stuck out to me. The first was on Saturday when we had interviews with President. I just had a great talk with President Maynes where he really taught me so many wonderful things. At the end I asked him, "President will this be my last interview with you?" "Yup, probably." He responded. (This is his second last transfer) "Alright can I give you a hug?" I asked. He looked a little surprised but said "Sure Elder" I gave President Maynes a hug, I'm not sure but I was probably one of the first missionaries to do that.

The other was that on Monday I got a letter from one of my former companions. He thanked me for being patient with him and helping him to learn so much. It was great to know that I'd helped him.

I know that the Gospel is true, and I absolutley love sharing this with everyone!

Con mucho amor,

Elder Rojo 

No comments:

Post a Comment